The provided image is of Raspbian Stretch with ROS Kinetic installed, on a Raspberry PI 3. This was created in Nov 2017:
From the Raspberry PI website, started with pre-made image “Raspbian Stretch with desktop” (Image with desktop based on Debian Stretch, Version: September 2017, Release date: 2017-09-07, Kernel version: 4.9).
Followed these instructions to Install ROS Kinetic on Raspberry PI. Some exceptions and notes:
- Manually created file named “ssh” in boot partition of stock image to enable SSH by default.
- Had an error for missing package, “sudo apt install dirmngr” fixed it.
- Selected option: Desktop: ROS, rqt, rviz, and robot-generic libraries
- Instructions are for Raspbian Jessie, and we are working with Stretch. Modified the following command:
- $ rosdep install -y –from-paths src –ignore-src –rosdistro kinetic -r –os=debian:stretch
- As the article points out, building the catkin workspace did fail a number of times. As the article recommends, I increased the swap space to 1GB, and used the -j2 tag instead of -j4.